Chile Travel Info - Visit Santiago, Easter Island, San Pedro de Atacama
The official name of Chile, a country in South America, is the Republic of Chile. It is bordered by the countries of Argentina, Peru and Bolivia, as well as the Pacific Ocean and the Drake Passage. The official languages are Spanish and Latin American Spanish. However, Rapanui and Aymara are also widely spoken in many spots. The official currency is the Chilean Peso. The main religion practiced here is Catholicism.
Its capital city is Santiago, a modern and bustling metropolis with a view of the Andes mountains that has grown tremendously from small beginnings. The Museo de la Solidaridad Salvador Allende is full of unique works of art from the 1970s including some from such artists as Matta, Miró, and Tapies. The largest open space in Santiago is the Parque Metropolitano featuring beautiful gardens, a zoo, and awesome views.
Easter Island (also known as Rapa Nui) sits west of Chile and is made up of the Poike, Rano Kau and Terevaka volcanoes. Remote, yet inhabited, this island has a distinctive Polynesian flavor. Easter Island is most famous for its stone statues that are called moai, which can be found in Rapa Nui National Park and along the coastlines.
One of the most popular spots to visit in Chile is San Pedro de Atacama. It offers easy access to the northern altiplano. Here one can visit numerous lakes, salt flats, and geysers. Within the town, one can visit a museum that features interesting archeological finds. A nearby tourist destination within the Atacama Desert is Salar de Atacama, an enormous salt area inhabited by flamingos.
The Parque Nacional Lauca is replete with Andean gulls, alpaca, llama, flamingos, and more than one hundred different species of birds. One of the highest lakes, Lago Chungara in the world can be found here as well. It lies at the base of dormant volcanoes.
- Uruguay - Montevideo, Parque Nacional Santa Teresa, Mercado del Puerto, Museo Didactico Artiguista and the Uruguayan Riviera.
- Paraguay - Asuncion, Rio Paraguay, Parque Nacional Ybycui, Cerro Leon and Trinidad.
- Peru - Lima, Cuzco, Arequipa, Museo Inka, Peruvian Andes and El Misti.
- Bolivia - Sucre, Christ of Concordia statue, Cochabamba, Parque Nacional Madidi, Cha'llapampa and Isla del Sol.
- Colombia - Bogota, Cartagena, Museo de Oro, Muelle de los Pegasos, the Palacio de la Inquisicion, and Ciudad Perdida.
- Greece - The Parthenon on the Acropolis of Athens, Crete, Knossos, the Acropolis of Lindos, Meteora's monasteries, Delphi, and Vergina.
- Falkland Islands - Port Stanley, Christ Church Cathedral, Sea Lion Island, Port Louis, Volunteer Beach, and New Island.