Travel to Latvia - Visit Sigulda, Riga, Aglona Basilica
Latvia, a small country, has scenic river valleys and natural attractions. Although Latvian is the official language, Russian is also spoken. The country is located in northern Europe, and is bordered by the countries of Russia, Belarus, Lithuania and Estonia. The Baltic Sea is located off the west coast. Direct flights link Latvia with many of the major European cities. Likewise, one could also travel by bus, train, or boat.
Locals refer to Sigulda as the "Switzerland of Latvia." It is a small health resort and center for winter sports that sits on the edge of a valley surrounded by medieval castles, including Turaida Castle, which is a centerpiece of the Turaida Museum Reserve. Nearby, an Olympic bobsled run leads into the valley.
The cobbled streets of Riga lead to buildings with ancient beauty and Art Noveau architecture. Church steeples and castle turrets dot the town. The town's Freedom Monument was erected in 1935 at the same location where an earlier
statue of Peter the Great had reigned.
Aglona Basilica is an important Roman Catholic Pilgrimage site. Its church dates back to the late 1600's. Every year, pilgrims gather here in a candlelit procession and religious ceremony.
The Museum of Horns and Antlers showcases over 500 sets of elk antlers that were collected by one man during his employment as a forest warden. The Latvian Occupation Museum, set behind a Latvian Riflemen statue, provides an account of the Soviet and Nazi occupations that held Latvia captive between the years 1940 and 1991.
- Faroe Islands - Torshavn, Streymoy, River Dalsa, Saksun, Gjogv, Eysturoy, Kirkjubour, St. Olav's Church and Foroya Fornminissavn.
- England - London, St. Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Old Operating Theatre Museum and Durham Castle.
- Scotland - Edinburgh Castle, Glasgow, Aberdeen, St. Andrews, Kellie Castle, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Lorimer House, Melrose Abbey, Aviemore and Cairngorm Mountains.
- Sweden - Stockholm, Visby, Tyresta National Park and Victoria Hotel.
- Czech Republic - City of Prague, Prague Castle, Petrin Hill and Petrin Tower.
- Bulgaria - Sofia, St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Tsarevets Fortress, Rila monastery, Madara National Historical and Archaeological Reserve, Valley of the Roses, Freedom Monument and Shipka Pass.
- Slovakia - Bratislava Castle, Devin Castle, High Tatras, Mala Fatra, Slovenska Narodna Galeria, National Museum and Trencianske Teplice