Bulgaria Travel - Visit Sofia, Tsarevets Fortress, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral
Bulgaria is a country in eastern Europe that is bordered by the countries of Greece, Turkey, Romania, Serbia and the Republic of Macedonia. On the eastern edge of the country sits the Black Sea. Bulgaria's official name is the Republic of Bulgaria. The official language is Bulgarian. However, Russian and French are widely spoken in many spots of the country as well. The official currency is the Bulgarian LEV.
Its capital city is Sofia, which was largely rebuilt after World War II. This city packs a lot of variety into it including a yellow brick road--the boulevards in its city center are paved with Viennese yellow cobblestones. The city includes the St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, a prime tourist attraction and one of the world's largest Eastern Orthodox cathedrals.
South of Sofia, you will find the regal Rila Mountains where hiking opportunities include a two-day trek across the mountains to reach the Rila monastery. The monastery dates back to 927 and has been moved approximately two miles from its original location.
Tsarevets Fortress, a citadel resting atop a hill, houses the ruins of more than 400 houses and 18 churches. The fortress is an interesting site to explore with an execution rock, triangular walls, and watchtower. Shipka Pass is the location where an important battle between the Russians and Turks took place. Today, it is home to a six story Freedom Monument and magnificent views of the Valley of the Roses.
The Madara National Historical and Archaeological Reserve is open most days. It displays amazing exhibits and includes an open air cave, rock chapel, and a fort with panoramic views of the countryside.
- Moldova - Chisinau, Cricova, Orheiul Vechi, Trebujeni, and National Archeology and History Museum.
- Belarus - Minsk, Hrodna, Brest Fortress, Dudutki Open Air Museum, National Academic Big Opera and Ballet Theatre, Maxim Gorky National Drama Theatre,
Palace of Republic, National History and Culture Museum, Great Patriotic War Museum.
- Slovakia - Bratislava Castle, Devin Castle, High Tatras, Mala Fatra, Slovenska Narodna Galeria, National Museum and Trencianske Teplice
- Czech Republic - City of Prague, Prague Castle, Petrin Hill and Petrin Tower.
- Croatia - Plitvice Lakes National Park, Zagreb, Solin, Salona Ruins, Mljet Island and Dubrovnik.
- Paraguay - Asuncion, Rio Paraguay, Parque Nacional Ybycui, Cerro Leon and Trinidad.
- Uruguay - Montevideo, Parque Nacional Santa Teresa, Mercado del Puerto, Museo Didactico Artiguista and the Uruguayan Riviera.