Travel to Macedonia for Vacation - Skopje, Ohrid, Lake Matka
Macedonia's full name is the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and this country is located in southeastern Europe. It shares borders with Greece, Serbia, Albania and Bulgaria. Despite cool nights, the summers are dry and hot. The winter temperatures can be quite cold and harsh. Its currency is the Macedonian Denar.
One of its cities, Ohrid, sits by the waters of Lake Ohrid, one of the world's oldest lakes. It offers relaxing beaches, interesting art galleries, and Byzantine churches scattered throughout its cobblestone streets. Because Car Samoil's Castle sits at the top of the town, the views are stunning. An unusual church, Sveti Jovan at Kaneo, sits above Lake Ohrid. It dates back to the 13th century.
Skopje is the capital of Macedonia. Skopje is set strategically at a crossroads, perhaps one of the reasons that it is the capital. Inside the old train station, you can find the city museum that appears to be as frozen in time as its clock, which is frozen at the time the earthquake of 1963 struck.
Lake Matka is the place to go for outside activities including boating, rock climbing, hiking, and exploring. Overnight stays are available at the Sveti Jovan Bigorski Monastery. Treskavec Monastery, set in a gorgeous mountain setting, honors the mother of God and includes many beautiful frescoes.
- Croatia - Plitvice Lakes National Park, Zagreb, Solin, Salona Ruins, Mljet Island and Dubrovnik.
- Greece - The Parthenon on the Acropolis of Athens, Crete, Knossos, the Acropolis of Lindos, Meteora's monasteries, Delphi, and Vergina.
- Serbia - Belgrade, Novi Sad, Jelica Milanovic, Kalemegdan Fortress, Petrovaradin Citadel, Sirogojno, Mt. Zlatibor and Manasija Monastery.
- Spain - Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao, Museo Guggenheim and Las Hurdes.
- Wales - Cardiff, Conwy, Portmeirion, Devil's Bridge, Caernarfon Castle, St. Govan's Chapel and Millennium Stadium.
- Liechtenstein - Vaduz, Malbun Ski Resort, Triesenberg, Ski Museum and National Museum.
- Hungary - Budapest, Eger Castle, Hungarian Parliament Building, Zsolnay Porcelain Museum, Fishermans Bastion, and the Basilica of St. Peter.