Greece Travel Tips - Visit Athens, The Parthenon, Crete, Knossos
Greece is officially known as the Hellenic Republic, and is located in southern Europe. It is bordered by the countries of Albania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, and Turkey, as well as the Aegean Sea and the Ionian Sea.
Greece is best visited during the spring season when accommodations are less expensive and the weather is milder. Greece offers mild winters in many spots although its mountains do not. The summers are hot and dry.
Athens has become sufficiently modernized, but it retains many ancient historical gems. These include the Parthenon on the Acropolis of Athens, which is one of the most famous landmarks world-wide. Crete has earned its reputation as a must see location with its myths and legends. The Dodecanese Islands offer a taste of the traditional life in Greece along with its blue Aegean waters.
The Acropolis of Lindos is a site rich with archeological finds. Sitting high atop a large rock, the Acropolis boasts vaulted corridors leading to vast storerooms, the remains of a Hellenistic stoa, an ancient propylaeum, and the Temple of Athena.
A British archeologist discovered Knossos (sometimes spelled Knossus, Cnossus or Gnossus), one of the main tourist attractions in Greece, in 1900. Once the home of the mythical Minotaur, this Minoan palace, requires several hours to tour since it is so extensive and replete with spectacular finds.
Delphi, once regarded as the center of the world, features a wealth of places to explore from its resting place among cypress and olive trees. Meteora's monasteries are built directly into and on top of huge rock peaks, and are reached by a climb upon rock-hewn steps.
Vergina, the first capital of Macedon, features four individual tombs. Three of the tombs are believed to belong to Persephone, Phillip II, and Alexander IV. The fourth tomb remains unidentified.
- Croatia - Plitvice Lakes National Park, Zagreb, Solin, Salona Ruins, Mljet Island and Dubrovnik.
- Serbia - Belgrade, Novi Sad, Jelica Milanovic, Kalemegdan Fortress, Petrovaradin Citadel, Sirogojno, Mt. Zlatibor and Manasija Monastery.
- Spain - Barcelona, Madrid, Bilbao, Museo Guggenheim and Las Hurdes.
- Macedonia - Skopje, Ohrid, Car Samoil's Castle, Lake Matka and Treskavec Monastery.
- Estonia - Old Town Tallinn, Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Saaremaa and Hiiumaa Islets Landscape Reserve
- Colombia - Bogota, Cartagena, Museo de Oro, Muelle de los Pegasos, the Palacio de la Inquisicion, and Ciudad Perdida.
- Chile - Santiago, Parque Metropolitano, Rapa Nui National Park on Easter Island, San Pedro de Atacama, Parque Nacional Lauca and Lago Chungara.