Ukraine Travel Ideas - Visit Kiev, St. Sophia's Cathedral, Odessa
Located in eastern Europe, the Ukraine shares borders with the countries of Russia, Poland, Belarus, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia and Moldova. It is also bordered by the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov. The Ukraine has extremely cold and harsh weather. Although the winter is colder than other times of the year, you will need to bundle up to visit.
Its capital, Kiev, which is also known as Kyiv, has developed modern tendencies and practices. Kyiv has a history rich in tragedies, both those created by man and those placed upon it by nature.
The Sherborne Guest House provides accomodations in the center of Kiev. From there it's just a hop and a skip to the Caves Monastery, an excellent place to see monuments and views of the surrounding countryside. The monastery has a cluster of churches with golden domes and an underground labyrinth complete with mummified monks.
St. Sophia's Cathedral, Sofiysky Sobor, is Kiev's oldest church that is still intact. Golden domes, original mosaics, interesting frescoes, and a unique tower add to the appeal of this cathedral.
Chernobyl Museum, in Kiev's Podil neighborhood, is a permanent shrine for those who died during the world's worst nuclear accident. This is not an attraction for the faint of heart, however, since it displays the photo IDs of the victims and the area as well as portraying graphs of radiation contamination.
Odessa is a major seaport on the Black Sea and is Ukraine's fourth largest city. Odessa's fame dates back to the Industrial Revolution when it supported the rebellious workers. Today, this shipping giant also offers a taste of the seaside for visitors.
- Moldova - Chisinau, Cricova, Orheiul Vechi, Trebujeni, and National Archeology and History Museum.
- Belarus - Minsk, Hrodna, Brest Fortress, Dudutki Open Air Museum, National Academic Big Opera and Ballet Theatre, Maxim Gorky National Drama Theatre,
Palace of Republic, National History and Culture Museum, Great Patriotic War Museum.
- Slovakia - Bratislava Castle, Devin Castle, High Tatras, Mala Fatra, Slovenska Narodna Galeria, National Museum and Trencianske Teplice
- Bulgaria - Sofia, St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, Tsarevets Fortress, Rila monastery, Madara National Historical and Archaeological Reserve, Valley of the Roses, Freedom Monument and Shipka Pass.
- England - London, St. Paul's Cathedral, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the Old Operating Theatre Museum and Durham Castle.
- Peru - Lima, Cuzco, Arequipa, Museo Inka, Peruvian Andes and El Misti.
- Iceland - Reykjavik, Myvatin, Vatnajokull glacier, Skaftafellsjokull, Skaftafell National Park, Blue Lagoon, Gullfoss waterfall and the Great Geysir.